Eggheads: Eggdrop v1.8.0 Release Candidate 1

Jonathan Rudolph simple at eggheads.org
Mon Sep 12 21:16:47 UTC 2016

Hello fellow Eggheads!

It has been far too long, but the long awaited release candidate (RC) of
Eggdrop version 1.8.0 is finally here! Among literally hundreds of smaller
fixes, the biggest changes were including SSL and IPv6 support. These
additions mean extra config file settings to use them, so while your old
config file will still work, you may want to consider using the new
eggdrop.conf included with this release.

Speaking of the config file, we've also brought back an old feature-
eggdrop-basic.conf. This file is a simplified version of the standard
eggdrop.conf targeted towards new users to make the first run a little less
daunting. While this file is good for a quick start, we still strongly
recommend you use the full eggdrop.conf to take advantage of all the
features of Eggdrop.

If you were worried, fear not- TCL scripts written for v1.6 should still
function with the v1.8 series of Eggdrop. While the core functionality of
most 3rd party modules should still work, many are hard-coded to only run
on a v1.6 Eggdrop. We have assembled a variety of popular third-party
modules at ftp://ftp.eggheads.org/pub/eggdrop/modules/1.8/ and edited them
to remove this restriction, thus allowing them to function with v1.8.

As this is an RC, we're depending on you to help us find those last few
bugs before we declare 1.8.0 as stable. Please use it and report any bugs
you find to https://github.com/eggheads/eggdrop/issues or visit us on
#eggdrop on Freenode. We plan on leaving this comment period open for 2-3
weeks.

The full ChangeLog can be found at
https://github.com/eggheads/eggdrop/blob/release/1.8.0/ChangeLog

Finally, in celebration of our first release in five years, we have also
given the Eggheads webpage a much-deserved makeover. We hope you like it!
See the changes at http://www.eggheads.org/

MD5 sums:
9519232295675146437664953780b2d5  eggdrop-release-1.8.0rc1.tar.gz
dee0c0964be12051f85ebc861b9f1a1d  eggdrop-1.8.0rc1.tar.gz.asc

PGP key:
http://www.eggheads.org/gpg/eggheads.pub