Eggheads: Many warnings while compiling

Tothwolf tothwolf at concentric.net
Mon Nov 20 03:00:00 CST 2006

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, Hielke Hoeve wrote:
> On 19/11/06, Tothwolf <tothwolf at concentric.net> wrote:
>> > stdlib funcs are also platform independant!
>
> Not all of them but most are.
>
> One way to circumvent this is to implement platform layers which are
> chosen by the build scripts automatically so that people don't have to
> edit code themselves.

Exactly :)

I've spent "just a little" time on Eggdrop's autoconf working out just
these sorts of issues ;)

varargs.h/stdarg.h/std_args.h in particular were a total nightmare,
especially with the way tcl.h would *also* conditionally include them.
Prior to one of the 8.x Tcl releases (maybe it was 8.0), Eggdrop only used
varargs.h, but I had to add compatibility for stdarg.h when tcl.h started
conditionally including one or the other, and both can't be included at
the same time. We ended up with 3 macros and 3 conditionally included
headers to deal with that particular issue, which I think worked out
pretty well. I *believe* I did most of this back before 1.4, probably late
1.3.x, though it could have been early 1.4.

....and don't even get me started on compatibility code for Tcl itself. I
*believe* Eggdrop will even still compile with Tcl 7.0 on a Sun4 platform,
given enough storage space. Granted, I'd upgrade such a system to 7.6 or
8.0, but it would still work.

I should have a fix in 1.6 CVS sometime early this week for the long
time_t issue, so anyone interested keep an eye on the changes list.

-Toth