Eggheads: About botchk

Tothwolf tothwolf at concentric.net
Mon Jan 24 23:23:34 CST 2005

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Dariusz Kulinski wrote:
> Saturday, January 22, 2005, 2:51:41 AM, you wrote:
>
> > I've seen this problem before, but not in a long time. I remember
> > sending info on it to Ernst for one of the Eggdrop FAQs a long time
> > ago. The solution I had at the time was simply to avoid the true
> > Bourne /bin/sh shell and to use bash instead. I'll look at botchk when
> > I get some free time and see if I can get it 100% portable.
>
> So admin of that shell was right? Does the botchk use bash commands that
> are not supported by sh?

The admin might have even seen my original answer in the FAQ Ernst had on
his site. I don't see any bash specific code in botchk but I've seen this
problem several times with the genuine Bourne /bin/sh (not just a symlink
to bash) shell on a number of *BSD systems. I suspect it has something to
do with the line "if `kill -CHLD $botpid >/dev/null 2>&1`", but without
seeing the output from botchk on the system in question, I can't say for
sure.

-Toth