Eggheads: About botchk

Dariusz Kulinski takeda at eggheads.w.pl
Sat Jan 22 01:41:33 CST 2005

Hello Ronny,

>> what does
>> limit (if you use tcsh shell)
>> or ulimit -a (if you use bash)
>>
>> say?

> (04:30:14 <ting at viper.shellcity.no:~>) $ ulimit -a
> core file size        (blocks, -c) 0
> data seg size         (kbytes, -d) 32768
> file size             (blocks, -f) 102400
> max locked memory     (kbytes, -l) 32768
> max memory size       (kbytes, -m) 32768
> open files                    (-n) 150
> pipe size          (512 bytes, -p) 1
> stack size            (kbytes, -s) 32768
> cpu time             (seconds, -t) 7200
> max user processes            (-u) 30
> virtual memory        (kbytes, -v) 32768

Hmm you have 30 processes, that should be more than enough. The other
possibility is probably that server is too busy (too many bots) and
admin should set up another one to move some accounts there.

If you decide to stick up with old botchk, try to remove ">/dev/null"
i.e. by:
export EDITOR=ee (this is to change editor to Easy Editor if you're
                  not familiar with vi)
crontab -e

then check e-mail using pine or mutt to see what errors you're getting
from cron. If something there are errors, either remove entry in cron
or add >/dev/null or you'll get mail every 10 minutes (autobotchk
default)

>> If you're interested you can try it:
>> http://www.takeda.tk/site/.preview/tkdbotchk-2.0-p2.tar.gz
>>
>> To install it you should extract that archive to eggdrop directory and
>> follow the instructions in README file.
>>
>> If more people would be interested I might work more on it and made it
>> publicly available.
> I will try it out if this new thing my admin told me to use, also fails.
> Thanks ;-)

I hope it will be useful.

 Dariusz                            mailto:takeda at eggheads.w.pl
CCNA, SCSA, SCNA, LPIC, MCP certified