Eggheads: About botchk

Ronny Vårdal ting at runbox.no
Fri Jan 21 21:34:21 CST 2005

Will Buckner skrev:
> Ronny Vårdal wrote:
>
>> I've had a problem on a given server (viper.shellcity.no), that my
>> bots that were crontab'd, did spawn duplicates all the time - despite
>> a running bot present.
>>
>> Their forum tells me to modify the botnick.botchk file, and supress
>> the first line (the #!/bin/sh or whatever), with this one:
>> #!/usr/local/bin/bash2
>>
>> Now, I don't see the connection between "sh" and "bash2" but then
>> again I'm not a linux expert.
>>
>> Have anyone else seen this solution? Should the autobotchk script that
>> follows eggdrop in that case be updated to handle this?
>>
>> The server in question is:
>> FreeBSD viper.shellcity.no 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #11: Wed Jan
>> 5 22:35:44 CET 2005
>> ftpman at viper.shellcity.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VIPER i386
>>
>> Anything else you would like to know, tell me.
>>

> Type 'which sh' (no quotes) at your shell prompt. This will show you the
> path to sh. I've never seen it anywhere other than /bin, though.
>
> Will

To answer you.. /bin/sh is the result of which sh... The problem seems
to be that the botchk runs kind of without problems for the most part,
but at some point it will fail and spawn a bot all though there is a
running bot and a valid pid for it.
My admin tells me that replacing #! /bin/sh with #! /usr/local/bin/bash2
should solve this problem... But I don't see the similarities between
"sh" and "bash2"... Anyways, if other FreeBSD 5.x servers behaves like
this, autobotchk is maybe up for an update ;-)

--

Ronny Vårdal

NORID Handle: RV138P-NORID
Email:        ting at runbox.no
Web:          http://my.floppy.no
GPG:          0x3B12B97E

"Do not follow where the path may lead.
  Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
                                  (George Bernard Shaw)