Eggheads: About botchk

Dariusz Kulinski takeda at eggheads.w.pl
Fri Jan 21 16:56:10 CST 2005

Hello Ronny,

> I've had a problem on a given server (viper.shellcity.no), that my bots
> that were crontab'd, did spawn duplicates all the time - despite a
> running bot present.

> Their forum tells me to modify the botnick.botchk file, and supress the
> first line (the #!/bin/sh or whatever), with this one:
> #!/usr/local/bin/bash2

> Now, I don't see the connection between "sh" and "bash2" but then again
> I'm not a linux expert.

> Have anyone else seen this solution? Should the autobotchk script that
> follows eggdrop in that case be updated to handle this?

> The server in question is:
> FreeBSD viper.shellcity.no 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #11: Wed Jan  5
> 22:35:44 CET 2005
> ftpman at viper.shellcity.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VIPER i386

> Anything else you would like to know, tell me.

what does
limit (if you use tcsh shell)
or ulimit -a (if you use bash)

say?

I think the problem is that administrator gave you restrictive
process limit (botchk forks several processes to do it's job and is
possible it reached limit and made it work incorrectly).

I wrote my own botchk in C for myself (IMHO it's faster, more
realiable and uses less resources).

If you're interested you can try it:
http://www.takeda.tk/site/.preview/tkdbotchk-2.0-p2.tar.gz

To install it you should extract that archive to eggdrop directory and
follow the instructions in README file.

If more people would be interested I might work more on it and made it
publicly available.

 Dariusz                            mailto:takeda at eggheads.w.pl
CCNA, SCSA, SCNA, LPIC, MCP certified
http://www.takeda.tk