Eggheads: Weird problems connecting to server

Daniel P. Sullivan dan at i-tds.net
Thu Sep 23 07:31:13 CST 2004

Hi Darius, Tom, and Philip;

Thanks for your quick replies.  Darius, to answer your questions, no, I am
not running an IRCd on my local box, and no I am not connecting through a
proxy or through any sort of NAT gateway; the IP I am connecting through is
a public IP.  I think what Tom said about ratbox seems like a logical
explanation as to the 127.0.0.1 address on the server timeout as I know
irc.servercentral.net as well as many of the other servers on efnet are
running ratbox.  Furthermore, what Philip said about 255.255.255... rings
true as well as I know I have seen that in one or more of my server
timeouts.  One internesting note is that if I do .jump irc.wh.verio.net, I
get a different error message:

[08:45] Trying server irc.wh.verio.net:6667
[08:45] Connected to irc.wh.verio.net
[08:45] -NOTICE- *** Looking up your hostname...
[08:45] -NOTICE- *** Checking Ident
[08:45] -NOTICE- *** No Ident response
[08:45] -NOTICE- *** Found your hostname
[08:45] -ERROR from server- Closing Link: c-67-173-111-37.client.comcast.net
(Connection timed out)
[08:45] Disconnecting from server.

Anyways, Tom, I made and verified the following two changes to the
configuration file and the problem is persisting:

set connect-timeout 60
set server-timeout 60

Darius, I did not see the raw-log variable you were talking about in the
configuration file, but I added it anyways.  I did however, come across a
setting in the server section of the config that is:

set debug-output 0

Is that by any chance the setting to which you were referring?  I set the
debug-output variable to 1, and the

Ok, I'm going to stop here because I fixed the problem.  I didn't have the
dang realname variable set and it was hanging because not enough parameters
were being passed to the server.  Gets 'em every time! Thanks for all your
help guys.  Debug mode owns!!

Dan