Eggheads: Weird problems connecting to server

Daniel P. Sullivan dan at i-tds.net
Wed Sep 22 20:17:08 CST 2004

Hello;

This is my first post to the mailing list, so please excuse me if I don't do
things quite right.  I'm having a really weird problem connecting to servers
with eggdrop1.6.10.  I know this mailing list is supposed to be for current
versions only, but I sincerely believe the issue I'm experiencing is
non-version specific, so I'm going to post anyways.  First off, I'll give a
little bit of background of the problem that I am having.  I am running this
Eggdrop off of a FreeBSD Internet gateway with a public, dynamically
assigned IP from my cable modem company, Mediacomm.  I do not have ident up
and working, but again, I think this is irrelevant because I am trying to
connect to servers that do not require ident, and I can connect to the same
server(s) from the same box using an IRC client such as Epic4.    Although
my hostname and IP are dynamically assigned, I set the my-hostname and my-ip
variables in the configuration file to the current IP and hostname of my
public address.  If I run the eggdrop with the configuration file as the
first parameter, the bot never seems to connect to a server.  So if I telnet
public_ip listen_port and login to the bot, I see the following messages
over and over:

[22:07] Trying server irc.servercentral.net:6667

[22:07] Connected to irc.servercentral.net

[22:07] -NOTICE- *** Looking up your hostname...

[22:07] -NOTICE- *** Checking Ident

[22:07] -NOTICE- *** Found your hostname

[22:07] -NOTICE- *** No Ident response

[22:07] -ERROR from server- Closing Link: 127.0.0.1 (Connection timed out)

[22:07] Disconnecting from server.

[22:08] Trying server irc.easynews.com:6667

[22:08] Connected to irc.easynews.com

[22:08] -NOTICE- *** Looking up your hostname...

[22:08] -NOTICE- *** Checking Ident

[22:08] -NOTICE- *** Found your hostname

[22:08] -NOTICE- *** No Ident response

[22:08] -ERROR from server- Closing Link: 127.0.0.1 (Connection timed out)

[22:08] Disconnecting from server.

[22:09] Trying server irc.efnet.net:6667

[22:09] Connected to irc.efnet.net

[22:09] -NOTICE- *** Looking up your hostname...

[22:09] -NOTICE- *** Checking Ident

[22:09] -NOTICE- *** Found your hostname

[22:09] -NOTICE- *** No Ident response

[22:09] -ERROR from server- Closing Link: 127.0.0.1 (Connection timed out)

[22:09] Disconnecting from server.

[22:10] Trying server irc.choopa.net:6667

[22:10] Connected to irc.choopa.net

[22:10] -NOTICE- *** Looking up your hostname...

[22:10] -NOTICE- *** Checking Ident

[22:10] -NOTICE- *** Found your hostname

[22:10] -NOTICE- *** No Ident response

[22:10] -ERROR from server- Closing Link: 127.0.0.1 (Connection timed out)

I just think this is extremely odd because I can connect to the same servers
that the eggdrop is timing out on using a normal IRC client such as Epic.
Does anybody know any setting in the configuration file that could be
causing these timeouts?  Should it be saying Closing Link: 127.0.0.1? This
problem has been giving me some grief for a while, and I'm running out of
hair to pull out.  Any hints or words of encouragement would be greatly
appreciated.  Thanks.

Dan