Eggheads: +a channel vs chanuser modes

ClubCX clubcx at plymouthonline.net
Tue Apr 8 19:38:19 CST 2003

EFnet, the example you gave, doesn't even support channel ownership.  Who
are you to put a bot in an 'equal rights' channel that you don't own, let
alone 25? How much are these people paying for something that's against
network policy in the first place? $50? $75? $100?  These networks want IRC
to be about chatting, not about bankrupting yourself in order to proclaim
yourself as a god above all the other chatters.

Channel Services, pretty much everywhere, are for the sole purpose of
registering an owner of a channel, to prevent takeovers. Bots do all the
hard work, keeping op/voice/ban lists, protecting the channel from attacks
and other questionable content (advertising, profanity, clones), and any
reference and entertainment that needs to be available 24/7 (such as live
market data, dictionary services, calculator, etc). There's also logging as
you mentioned.