Eggheads: +a channel vs chanuser modes

Dariusz Kulinski takeda at eggheads.w.pl
Tue Apr 8 10:19:41 CST 2003

Hello Philip,

Tuesday, April 8, 2003, 7:04:27 AM, you wrote:

>   More and more network are stating to use the +a channel user mode.

>   This is becoming more of a problem for some users where a service
>   bot, or any users sets a user +a before the bot gains +o.

>   What is the +a channel mode for, and doesn't it only apply to
>   !channels?

On IRCNet +a stands for anonymous, and is only available on !channels.
People cannot see each other, everything what is said on cannel looks
like is send from somebody who have nick "anonymous".

I don't think that many people actually use this mode, since it's not
really useful for normal channels.
Maybe on other networks it have different meaning.

 Dariusz                            mailto:takeda at eggheads.w.pl
SCSA, SCNA, LPI, CCNA, MCP certified