Eggdev: strict-host

TaKeDa takeda at eggheads.w.pl
Tue Jan 1 12:47:08 CST 2002

Hello Axel,

Tuesday, January 01, 2002, 1:11:37 AM, you wrote:

>> I belive it shudn't be removed, but behaviour should be changed, current
>> prefixes (as on http://akson.sgh.waw.pl/~chopin/ircd/prefixes) are:
>>
>>         none    I line with ident
>>         ^       I line with OTHER type ident
>>         ~       I line, no ident
>>         +       i line with ident
>>         =       i line with OTHER type ident
>>         -       i line, no ident
>>
>> As you see, equall prefixes are: none and + (this is when ident is working
>> correctly)
>> I belive that prefixes ~, ^, =, - should be grooped and recognized as '~'
>> while strict-host is set to 0.
> You have forget, that ^ and = also equal?

yes they are, but while it is: ^ ~ = -, then user can give anything he want
(ircd don't listen to identd)

> I believe the strict-host set is longer existant as the ircnet (which used i-lines),

ircnet is pretty long out there.
But i-line maybe not (I don't know)

> probable was the reason for coding the strict-host-set that some users on time
> a working ident-daemon have and a other time not.
> '+', '-', '^', '=' was added to fixfrom I believe in 1.0e.

You suggesting me that was only ~ prefix, and strict host was only to count ~
same as without prefix?
I think it was bad idea.

I was thinking that someone who was coding strict-host wasn't know exactly what
some prefixes means, he was tired of adding users as *!*ident at host.com, and make
"more secure" way to get rid with problem with those prefixes.

> I understand you correctly, you want to lost the original-idea and with a new
> meaning for the strict-host-set that only restrictet or not irrelevant is? This
> would be a improvement for ircnet-users the at the moment like strict-host 1,
> but what is with the others, I mean the still have the original-reason for using
> strict-host 0?

If that was oryginal reason for strict host, then I'm still think it is better
to change it.
Counting ~ident as a ident is BAD idea.
What about other networks? It looks like prefixes are same there.

> Happy new year
You too :)

 TaKeDa                            mailto:takeda at eggheads.w.pl