Eggdev: gotwall() patch

Darko Ilic darko at onvol.net
Tue Dec 31 17:25:30 CST 2002

Greetings,

User Genesis on #eggdrop at undernet pointed out that bind wall behaves
oddly. It would pass only the nickname of the sender in the variable
'from', while the logfile gets the full nick!user at host entry. I guess it
was done in such way so to provide an easy workaround for the possible
source of the /wallops message being a server name rather than the n!u at h
(RFC specifies server name). However, most of the IRCd's nowdays are
actually sending the the full nick!user at host so eggdrop needed an
update. I was thinking about possibly adding another argument to
check_tcl_wall and parsing the message source internaly, but after some
thinking, decided not to. Reason is that procedure that is called upon
bind would still need to do some checking to see if that third argument
has a vlaue or not, and so it might just as well do the parsing itself -
thus this patch only passes the 'source' data onto the 'from' variable -
unparsed. I also decided to retain logging behaviour that original code
had (slightly optimised), so not to confuse some stats/log-parsing/other
scripts by introducing a new format.

doc/tcl-commands.doc was also slightly ambigous by naming the variable
that contained info on the source of the message 'handle'. So i changed
the varname accordingly to 'from' and added additional explanation in
the bind's description.

Very best of health and luck in new 2003,
Darko Ilic

darko``@undernet