Eggdev: striping :)

Fabian Knittel fknittel at gmx.de
Wed Nov 22 06:21:21 CST 2000

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 09:33:02PM -0600, Tothwolf wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Fabian Knittel wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 04:12:37PM +0000, Toby Verrall wrote:
> > > i asked about this before, but no one responded as far as i remember..
> > >
> > > i think we should stop stripping the eggdrop exe file after the default
> > > non-debug make.  it'll make the exe bigger, but no slower, and more
> > > importantly, coredumps will be useful.  contexts aren't really much use
> > > for tracking down bugs it seems.
> >
> > I don't know whether our users will like "bloated" objects files.
> > Apart from that, I'm all for it.
>
> Don't most all of gnu.org's projects compile with -O -g and don't stip by
> default? I seem to remember there being an optional 'make strip' target to
> strip the binary and shlib files before installing.

So you suggest to make unstripped binaries the default, but
provide `make strip' for unlucky people who suffer from space
constraints, right? Sounds quite reasonable, I like it.

--
Fabian Knittel <fknittel at gmx.de> -- http://www.esc-web.de/fabian/
Signed or encrypted mail preferred.    PGP DSA key ID: 0x838B4D20